Oaxaca is one of the World’s Great Birding Hotspots
Birdwatching is perfect way to spend time immersed in the outdoors. Your guides at Rancho Pitaya can help the novice birder spot and identify stunning birds providing high quality binoculars, photo references and checklists. For the avid birder with life lists, a handful of rare endemic species can be readily observed in the local habitat.
There are a little over 9,000 species of birds on the planet. About 9% or nearly 800 of them can be seen in the state of Oaxaca. The diverse habitats of the Valle de Tlacolula are home a handful of species endemic to Mexico with several being found only in the state of Oaxaca. On an average guided birding experience expect to spot between 30 to 50 species depending on the time of year.
Getting to know the local birds is also a good way to learn about the flora, both native and introduced. Examples are the endemic Grey-breasted Woodpecker that nests in the trunks of the native columnar cacti and the Dusky Hummingbird found only in the dry, scrub habitat of interior valleys of Oaxaca.
- What to bring
- Booking policy
- Book now!
- Groups of minimum of 2 and max of 6 people with one guide. Private tours available.
- Approximately - hours of bird watching.
- 2-3 hour guided tour.
- Bird check list.
- English and Spanish speaking guide.
- Wear dark or neutral colored clothing: long pants, long sleeves, covered shoes suggested
- Water bottle (refills available)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and insect repellent
- Personal medication
- Pad of paper and pen are helpful to write down the birds observed; this really helps to remember each bird. A printed checklist is still suppled.
- A camera with a zoom is nice to document the birds.
2020 & 2021 Rates
1 birder: 1500 pesos
2-3 birders: 1,250 pesos per person
4-5 birders: 900 pesos per person
Notes: The best time to observe birds is in the morning or late afternoon. Supply available times and dates when inquiring about booking.